We did not plan for pets on this cruise. After losing my cats of 15 years, within five months of each other, just as we were buying Sea Life, I told myself that it was karma and good timing. Karma had other plans for us, when a rambunctious kitten dive bombed my feet on the walk home from the post office to our house. The plan was to find him a home, but after finding out that nearby homeowners moved and took his mother, leaving him behind, I was hooked.
Scott has been a prince about it, as I know it still sticks in his craw that we are traveling with a pet. He named Howard, after our post office and home location, Fort Howard. Scott and Howard have terrific play sessions that leave Howard exhausted. This is helpful, as this nearly three year old male cat is like raising a two year old toddler… complete with tantrums!
Howard has adjusted well to boat life, and thinks that our entire marina pier is his. It’ll be quite an adjustment when there are no boards to walk, or tables and dock boxes to crawl around and under. He’ll also miss all the dogs who pass by, as he likes to show them who’s boss and who’s pier they’re on.
Check out Howard’s regular antics:
- Bon Jour, Saint Pierre, Martinique!! December 7, 2017 - ** Disclaimer: Yes, I am behind on my posts. No, this post is not real time, meaning we’re not in currently in Martinique. Keep track of our current location through the Where Are We Now page. ** After a month in Virginia, Mom was healing like a champ in rehab, and Dad had food in … Continue reading Bon Jour, Saint Pierre, Martinique!!
- A Short Stay In The Spanish Virgin Islands November 30, 2017 - ** Disclaimer: Yes, I am behind on my posts. No, this post is not real time, meaning we’re not in currently in the Spanish Virgins. Keep track of our current location through the Where Are We Now page. ** The weather wasn’t favorable for a smooth ride straight to St. Thomas (going east, and consequently … Continue reading A Short Stay In The Spanish Virgin Islands
- Our Passage From Cartagena To Puerto Rico August 5, 2017 - Settle in…this one will take awhile. To make the Eastern Caribbean, Scott’s plan was to head immediately north out of Cartagena, getting as much distance from the Colombian coast as possible, before turning east in a tight reach run toward Puerto Rico. With this passage being our longest and most challenging, he decided to defer … Continue reading Our Passage From Cartagena To Puerto Rico
- Howard’s Cartagena Vet Visit July 31, 2017 - Howard was coming due for his yearly rabies vaccine. Few animals enjoy vet visits, but instead of being quietly terrified (as my last two female cats were), Howard is very “sassy.” He has a Caution sticker on his file at home, and the older and stronger he gets, the more “piss and vinegar” he spits … Continue reading Howard’s Cartagena Vet Visit
- On To Colombia July 19, 2017 - After spending four months in the San Blas, doing short, 2-4 hour jumps at most, between anchorages, we now faced a thirty-some hour run to Colombia. Whenever we settle in for an extended period, the thought of a long, overnight passage is unsettling. It’s always nerve wracking as we set out. Seas that were previously … Continue reading On To Colombia